FBBA Community Christmas Promotional Video by Jonathan Vela
Before welcoming keynote speaker Margie Rose, City Manager of Corpus Christi, FBBA President Melanie Hambrick called the regular meeting to order at noon. First, she welcomed all members, guests, and dignitaries. She went on to thank Funtrackers for allowing the association to hold their monthly meetings at the Raceway Cafe’. Hambrick encouraged everyone to access the FBBA website to stay abreast of what is happening within the association.
New Businesses: The following businesses submitted applications for membership and were approved by the Board of Directors:
- K & M Premier Real Estate: Alex Garcia, Associate Member
- R. Scott McClintock, Sr. Surveying and Mapping, General Member
- Strong Arm Mixed Martial Arts Academy: Justin Barker, General Member
- MaryAnn’s Coastal Hair Salon: Mary Ann Escamilla, General Member
- Hometown Notary Services: Margaret Hall, General Member
Spotlight of the Month: Unlock Texas, Owner Thomas Corey
Thomas Corey, owner of Unlock Texas, was named the Spotlight Business of the Month. Unlock Texas is owned and operated by Thomas Corey. With over 10 years of experience, he provides locksmith services, tire changes, jump starts, and fuel delivery. They serve Corpus Christi and surrounding areas 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
“We started off as a roadside service company, but we are now licensed by the State of Texas to be a full locksmith company,” said Corey. “Thanks to Jonathan Vela for all his help through this process. We provide many services and offer military and first-responder discounts. We offer a 10% discount to them. We also provide a community service, a child lockout service when a child is locked in a car or a house, absolutely free. That’s a little bit of our way of giving back.”
FBBA Board Elections:
Elections for the Board of Directors was held. Jennifer Welp, Jeff Rank, and Shirley Thornton are up for re-election for 3-year terms. No additional candidates submitted their names for consideration. All members in attendance filled out and turned in paper ballots. New board members will be inducted at the FBBA mixer on December 14, 2016. Directors will take office in January 2017.
- Jeff Craft, publisher of The Flour Bluff Messenger, announced that he is celebrating the first anniversary of the newspaper. Craft went on to say that he will begin publishing a paper every two weeks instead of monthly. He encouraged everyone with a business in Flour Bluff to advertise in the Messenger. Ads run for as little as $30 per month.
- Melanie Hambrick thanked HEB for their generous contribution to Community Christmas.
- Javier Ramirez was introduced as the new Edward Jones financial adviser working out of the office of Melanie Hambrick on Waldron Road.
- Anyone wanting to help with the Community Christmas event may contact Jonathan Vela, Events Coordinator, at 361-434-0332.
Next General Meeting: The next meeting will be a mixer at 6:00 p.m. on December 14, 2016, at Candlewood Suites.
Retired from education after serving 30 years (twenty-eight as an English teacher and two years as a new-teacher mentor), Shirley enjoys her life with family and friends while serving her community, church, and school in Corpus Christi, Texas. She is the creator and managing editor of The Paper Trail, an online news/blog site that serves to offer new, in-depth, and insightful responses to the events of the day. She also writes and edits for The Texas Shoreline News, a Corpus Christi print newspaper.