Business and Announcements:
Dignitaries and local candidates in attendance included:
- Field Office Representative Luis Buentello of Congressman Farenthold’s office,
- Nueces County Commissioner Brent Chesney,
- Greg Smith, candidate for Corpus Christi City Council District 4,
- Dr. Lloyd Stegemann, candidate for Corpus Christi City Council District 4,
- Jennifer Welp, candidate for Flour Bluff ISD School Board, Place 6,
- Michael Morgan, candidate for Flour Bluff ISD School Board, Place 7.
The Flour Bluff Citizens’ Council is still in the organizational stage. The steering committee is busy developing bylaws that will outline how the organization will run and who may join. The vision statement of the council is as follows: The FBCC exists to provide a unified voice for the citizens of Flour Bluff. Anyone who wants more information or would like to join, send an email to email@example.com.
Other Announcements from Attendees:
Julie Davis, of the Corpus Christ Symphony Orchestra, came to offer an idea for bringing more business to the Bluff. “We are looking for ads for our program books that go to about 10,000 audience members and 6,000 people who support Pops in the Park. This is an excellent opportunity for you to be visible, and the ads are not expensive by any means.” Anyone interested in purchasing ad space may do so by contacting Julie at jdavis@CCSymphony.org. Davis added that many of Flour Bluff students are part of the organization, as is band director Victor Lara.
Flour Fest and FBISD Homecoming Week
- Homecoming Parade beginning at 6:00 p.m., Monday, September 12, 2016. The FBBA will have a float in the parade and invites any business owner to take the ride with them;
- Many open houses and related events throughout the week (Click here for more details);
- Homecoming game against Gregory-Portland at Hornet Stadium at 7:30 with pre-game events to start earlier;
- Homecoming dance on evening of Saturday, August 17;
- Flour Fest, a community event celebrating the history of Flour Bluff and the 65th anniversary of the FBBA: Come one, come all to the 1st Annual Flour Fest on September 17, 2016! The noon to 6:00 p.m. event will be hosted by the Flour Bluff Business Association and will take place at Funtrackers at 9605 S. Padre Island Dr, Corpus Christi, TX 78418. The event will serve as a way to introduce the Flour Bluff citizens to the many businesses that call the area between the Cayo del Oso and Laguna Madre home. The festival comes at the end of Flour Bluff I.S.D. Homecoming week and promises to be a fun time for all. Come see what the great community of Flour Bluff has to offer and help the FBBA celebrate 65 years of Keepin’ It in the Bluff!
Flour Fest events:
Flour Bluff business booths (Businesses need to visit the website for details. Members and Associate Members will receive a free spot with a table and two chairs. Bring your own shade.)
Free rides to the first 200 kids
Storytellers relating the history of Flour Bluff
Pastry Wars Eating Contest
Coastal A’s & Rods Show
Vendors’ booths displaying services, selling wares, or providing games
Arts and crafts booths
Nueces County ESD#2 fire engine tour and fire safety talk for kids and adults
Great food from the Raceway Cafe’
Special performances by local school groups
Flour Bluff Song Contest
- Song must be the original work of the artist.
- Songwriter must be a resident of Flour Bluff.
- Song must be about Flour Bluff. Songwriters should think about the history, geographical locale and characteristics, and lifestyle of the Flour Bluff people. (Note: Any entries that are derogatory in nature or contain profanity of any kind will be disqualified.)
- Song must not exceed 5 minutes in length when performed.
- Winning song must be performed at Flour Fest. Songwriter may designate a performer to sing the song. Musical accompaniment is not required.
- All entries must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org as per the Guidelines for Entering below.
- Deadline for entries: Midnight, September 5, 2016
All games and rides at Funtrackers Family Fun Center plus other activities sponsored by the vendors